Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Wake Up Sleepy Heads.


Peep This. I have to admit the crush on Obama stint is kinda funny.

I do this for my culture to let em know. Some might question why I’ve been doing so much social-political commentary over the last few months. In a time where we talk about culture a lot, where the music and fashion talk about bringing 88 back. Yet sometimes I wonder where the conscious of our generation is – we’re more worried about exclusive kicks and fits than what’s happening outside of our small little sub-culture. Wake up you sleepy heads. Put down the blunts, and pick up a news paper – heck smoke the blunt – just change your browser long enough from hypebeast, and highsnobiety to check into the Huffington Post, the New York Times, Reuters anything but Fox News. It’s not about picking up campaign pickets it’s just about being conscious of what’s going on in the world.

We can make t-shirts and create seven page dissertations on the creativity of street culture and how amazing it is. But where do we hold true sway – where’s our voice? Im not saying go write some political raps or go cut and paste JFK on to a t-shirt and exclusively release it on your blog. I’m just letting you know why I feel it’s imperative to speak up right now. Most of us have felt shunned by this process we feel like the American political process is a farce. Especially after most of us in our first times voting, voted for the dude who won & some other chucklehead ended up in office. But if you believe in culture and the voice of past generations – then you can see how important this presidential election is in the future of this country and world. If you can’t then go cop some more sneakers, light the blunt, turn on BET and superman that…yes I’m talking about Yooooouuuuu! But if you do understand – do something about it. Find your voice, find your place, and ask how can I help? I mean look at the Cool Kids – you’ll never here a snippet of political social commentary in their rhymes but they performed for Obama here in Chicago – they were asked to – that means something. Do this for your culture – to let em know what a tattooed cat with fresh kicks and all over print hoody knows more about the world then just where every single streetwear store is across the globe. Enough of that…just felt I had to say something.

PLUS - Why is BET running a TV special on “Whats in it for us?” The possible next President of the United States is a black man – and the largest black media outlet is asking what’s in it for us!? Are you kidding me – why aren’t they asking how can we help? Where’s Oprah at? Why is it that when we get into a position to actually get ahead we’re always asking what’s in it for us? I’ll help, but what’s in it for me. What kind of sense does this make? Give to receive – give what you want to receive what you need. Not give because you know you’ll be getting something back. I think somewhere in between Viacom taking over BET and Martin Luther King passing away we lost site of exactly what it is we’re trying to do here. Yes im talking to YOOOOOOUUUUU. Superman that.

1 comment:

Joseph said...

Great post, Shannon. I agree, this election is SO important. And though I have a fairly clear idea on who I want elected, I am more than happy if people just get off of their asses, do a little research on the candidates, and make an informed vote.